Outlook is a powerful mail client with dozens of features you’ll probably never lose. That’s not to say you shouldn’t be using them, however.
Today we’re going to create a simple filter that moves all of my email about the Consumer Electronics Show to a separate folder. Any reporter that’s ever attended can tell you that CES vendors often send hundreds of pitches a day, and it can quickly overwhelm your inbox. We’re going to fix that before it happens.
1. Open Outlook and click Inbox (or any other folder you want to apply a rule to).
2. Click the Rules icon and then Manage Rules and Alerts.
3. Click New Rule.
4. Select a template. In this case, we’re going to use "Move messages with specific words in the subject to a folder." Click Next to move on.
5. Uncheck "with specific words in the subject" and check "with specific words in the subject or body."
6. Add the specific word you’d like to filter and click Add.
In my case, I’m going to use "CES" which will send all of my pitches for the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show to a separate folder so I can browse them at will without cluttering up my inbox.
7 Click OK.
8. Click the "specified" link to select a folder (or create a new one).
9. Select a folder, or press New and enter the folder name. I’m going to select one called CES. Press "OK" when you’re done and then click Next to move on.
10. Select "stop processing more rules" and "move it to the specified folder" before clicking Next to move on.
11. Name the rule and then ensure you’ve checked "Turn on this rule." You can also check the ‘Run this now’ box to filter messages already in your inbox. Press Finish once you’re done.
Microsoft Outlook Tips
- Block a Sender in Outlook 2016
- How to Instantly Mark Messages as Read in Outlook 2016 and Prior
- Edit New Message Alerts in Outlook
- How to Mail Merge in Office 2016
- Set an Out of Office Reply in Outlook
- How to Create Custom Groups in Outlook 2016
- Download Your Address Book in Outlook 2016 and Prior
- How to Archive Mail in Outlook 2016
- Create an Email Signature in Outlook 2016 and Prior
- Attach a Calendar Event to an Email
- Set Up a Universal Inbox
- Import Contacts to macOS Address Book
- Purge Deleted Messages
- Delete Addresses in Outlook Autocomplete
- Change the Attachment Size Limit in Outlook
- Import Contacts via CSV
- Back Up Outlook Data
- Change Fonts in Outlook
- Export Contacts to CSV
- Add an Image to Your Signature
- Set Up Out-of-Office Messages
- Create Email Templates
- Restrict Notifications to Important Emails Only
- Get Read Receipts
- Use Two Time Zones for Meetings
- Recall an Email
- Save Common Searches
- Block Unwanted Mail
- Stop Sending Winmail.dat
- Automate Repetitive Actions
- Schedule Outgoing Mail
- Create Canned Replies
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.