Laptop Mag is devoted to helping you choose the best laptop. Our editors and writers thoroughly evaluate all the latest Windows notebook, MacBooks, Chromebooks, 2-in-1s and tablets that come through our independent lab.
Our goal is to make shopping for a laptop simple, which is why we provide constantly-updated top pick lists, buying guides and interactive product finders to help narrow your search and avoid buyers’ remorse. We put ourselves in your shoes by going undercover to thoroughly test the tech support of every major brand.
Laptop Mag is also the place to go for tips and how-to advice for your laptop, whether you want to supercharge your old system or password protect specific folders.
How We Test Laptops
Our lab uses a combination of real-world tests and synthetic benchmarks to determine how well laptops perform. We evaluate battery life using our home-grown web surfing test, as well as speed by timing how long a system takes to transfer files and complete a demanding spreadsheet test. In addition, we use tools to tell you how colorful a laptop’s screen and how much travel its keyboard has. Learn more about how we test laptops.
Laptop Mag’s journey began in 1991 when Bedford Communications launched the first issue of Laptop Buyers’ Guide and Handbook. Later, the publication’s name was shortened to LAPTOP as it expanded its focus to handhelds, smartphones and tablets. The publication won an Eddie award from Folio Magazine.
Laptop Mag was acquired by TechMedia Network (now Purch) in July 2011. In April 2013, we went 100 percent digital to provide millions of monthly visitors more current and comprehensive information. In 2014, we moved our smartphone coverage to sister site Tom’s Guide and made laptops the focus of Laptop Mag.
- Laptop Buying Guide: 8 Essential Tips
- The Best & Worst Laptop Brands
- Laptop Tech Support Showdown: Undercover Report
- Should I Buy a Chromebook? Buying Guide and Advice
- Laptops with the Longest Battery Life
- Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops: What Should You Buy?
- Why You Shouldn't Buy a Touch-Screen Laptop
- Out of the Box Tips: Set Up Your New Laptop Like a Pro
- The Best Time to Buy a Laptop
- Chromebook vs. Tablet: Which Should You Buy?
- Laptop Buying Tips for Students
- 10 Key Features to Look for in Your Laptop
- How to Buy a 2-in-1 Laptop Hybrid
- USB Type-C FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Get Rid of Your Old Laptop
- Laptop Warranties: What They Cover
- Which CPU is Right For You?
- Which Laptop Features Are Worth the Money?
- Gaming Laptop Buying Guide: Find the Right Rig
- 10 Reasons Why Consumers Should Buy Business Laptops
- Which MacBook is Right for You?
- 5 Things to Look For in Your Next Laptop Keyboard
- How to Configure Your Laptop: Specs That Matter
- Which Graphics Card Do You Need?
- The Perfect Laptop? Here’s What It Should Have
- Why 78 Percent of Laptop Screens Suck
- A Guide to Computer Ports and Adapters
- 13 Ways to Make a Slow Laptop Faster
- How to Tell If You Can Upgrade Your Laptop
- Laptop Locks Guide: Do You Need One?
- 10 Features You Can Skip to Save Money