Following Microsoft's announcement of Windows 10 S, Acer and HP have both announced laptops running the new operating system that only allow programs from the Windows Store. Both of them sell for $299.
Acer's laptop is called the TravelMate Spin B1, the company's first 2-in-1 with the TravelMate branding. It's $299.99 and available now. It has an 11.6-inch, 1080p touch-screen display and features a shock-absorbent rubber bumper and spill-resistant keyboard. It offers a Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage, as well as a stylus.
HP's $299 ProBook x360 Education Edition is also rugged, with an 11.6-inch, 1366 x 768 display, with a Celeron CPU, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. The Acer certainly seems like a better deal in this situation, as you get the better screen and the 2-in-1 functionality for the same price.
MORE: How to Use Windows 10
Microsoft also announced its own Windows 10 S laptop, the Surface Laptop, which debuts for $999 with a Core i5 CPU. Clearly, the company is letting vendors take care of the low end of the spectrum in an effort to combat Chromebooks.
Windows 10 Performance and Productivity
- Best Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts
- MIrror Your Screen to a TV or Monitor
- Speed Windows 10 Boot Time
- Get Superfast Mouse, Touchpad Speeds
- Calibrate Your Monitor
- Activate 'God Mode'
- Defragment Your Hard Drive
- Measure the Time it Takes for Apps to Load at Boot
- Use Maximum CPU Power
- Enable Swipe to Delete in Email
- Copy and Paste at the Command Prompt
- Record Video of an App
- Use Offline Maps
- Get the Full Layout in Windows 10’s Touch Keyboard
- Create a .Reg File for Easy Registry Hacks
- Record PC Gameplay on the Xbox App
- Perform a Clean Install of Windows 10
- Uninstall Windows 10 and Roll Back to 7 or 8
- Enable the Linux Bash Shell
- Generate a Detailed Battery Report
- Turn a PC into a Wireless Display
- Open Folders in the Taskbar
- Open Sites in the Taskbar
- Import Gmail Contacts
- Get Android Notifications
- Use Multiple Desktops
- Use Eye Control
- Use the Timeline Feature to Resume a Task
- Send Web Pages from Phone to PC
- All Windows 10 Tips
- Increase your Battery Life
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.