Apple’s macOS and iOS operating systems may not be merging, but one device is soon to become much more like the iPhone: the iPad.
iOS developer Guilherme Rambo has spotted a “Face ID & Passcode” screen in the beta of the upcoming iOS 12, indicating that upon the release of the new operating system, you’ll be able to unlock your iPad with Face ID (the same way you can an iPhone X).
If Rambo’s screenshots are legit, users will be able to toggle Face ID on and off (along with their passcode) on this screen. They’ll also be able to set their iPads to verify that they’re looking at the device before unlocking.
The interface clearly isn’t complete yet, as it still refers to the device in question as an “iPhone.” Still, Rambo also shared a video of the Face ID setup in action, so there seems to be some functionality built in.
iOS 12 will likely be available in public beta in June, and in its final form in September, so you can look forward to a variety new features on your iPad and iPhone.
- How to Quickly Transfer Images from an iPad to a PC
- Change the Apple ID on an iPad
- Use the Apple Pencil with iPad Pro's Notes App
- Every iPad Pro Keyboard Shortcut You'll Ever Need
- Multitask on the iPad Pro: Slide Over, Split View, Picture in Picture
- How to Select, Copy, and Paste Text on the iPad
- How to Download and Install iOS 11 on an iPad
- How to Use the iPad's Dock and Multitask
- Shoot 4K Video on the iPad Pro
- Use Your iPad Pro as a Secondary Display
- Set the EQ on the iPad for Better Sound
- How to Reboot the iPad
- Activate the iPad Bookmarks Bar
- How to Send SMS Messages on an iPad
- Re-arrange and Manage Application Icons on the iPad
- How to Set Up Messages on Your iPad
- How to Use the Parental Controls on Your iPad
- Access Alternate Characters on the iPad Keyboard
- Drag and Drop on an iPad
- Remove or Change the
- The Best iOS 11 Features That Transform Your iPad
- Edit Multiple 4K Video Streams on the iPad Pro
- Change the Lock Screen and Wallpaper on the iPad
- How to Clear Your Cookies and Browsing History on iPad
- How to Make and Answer iPhone Calls on Your iPad
- How to Use Three Apps at Once on the iPad
- How to Disable Wi-Fi Assist and Avoid Overages on Your iPad
- How to Use Work Spaces
- Password Protect the iPad
- Open Links in a New Page
- Disable the Clicking Sound on the iPad Keyboard
- How to Use Multi-touch Gestures on the iPad
- Watch Your iPad on a Television Set (Using AirPlay)
- How to Fix an iPad Activation Error