CES 2022 is underway and Las Vegas playing host to the return of the in-person consumer tech spectacular!
The Consumer Electronics Show gives us a preview into what kinds of gadgets you can look forward to getting this year — and in some cases a glimpse of the future.
- AMD unveils RX 6000 CPUs and GPUs for gaming laptops: Here's what's new
- Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake mobile chips debut at CES 2022 — Can they stack up to AMD and Apple's best?
- Nvidia unveils GeForce RTX 3080 Ti laptop GPU — claims 7x faster 3D rendering than MacBook Pro 16
With Covid-19 concerns on the rise this isn't the massive in-person event that we saw pre-Covid with hundreds of thousands of attendees crammed into convention halls. However, fewer attendees won't mean fewer announcements, thousands of awesome new gadgets are still going to be launched at CES 2022.
While we aren't on the ground in Las Vegas this year, we will still be bringing you all of the latest news from the event including our hands-on impressions of some of the hottest laptops, tablets and more coming in 2022.
Laptops at CES 2022
Laptops at CES 2022 are often predictable, but really exciting at the same time. Throughout the many teases and product announcements we expect to see, there will be some key specs that will give us a glimpse at the next 12 months in the category. There are also always a few wildcards in the mix to spice things up.
- 12th Gen Intel processors: Intel’s Alder Lake CPUs have been stirring up a storm on the desktop front and now Intel's 12th Gen mobile processors are looking to challenge the best from AMD and Apple.
- Mini LED: You’ve seen this new display tech start to sneak into Windows laptop lines and make it big in the new M1 MacBook Pro. CES 2022 is primed to be the time we see Mini LED go big.
- DDR5 RAM: Multitasking is about to get a whole lot bigger, faster and power efficient. Compared to DDR4 RAM, you can drastically increase the clock speed without expending more energy. That should be more than enough to handle Google Chrome.
- The QHD gaming laptop trend continues: 12th Gen Intel and DDR5 RAM are going to work alongside dedicated RTX 30-series GPUs to create some real portable gaming beasts. But the more visibly noticeable difference is the continued move over to QHD displays. The maximum refresh rate we’ve seen so far in 1440p screens is 165Hz, but a jump to 300Hz would confirm its spot in Esports enthusiasts’ hearts.
Acer laptops at CES 2022:
- Acer adds 14-inch and 16-inch Swift X laptops with 12th Gen Intel CPUs and RTX 30 Series power
- New Acer Nitro 5 gaming laptops hit the scene — choose between 12th Gen Intel or AMD Ryzen 6000
- Acer sparks the new Predator Triton 500 SE to life with 12th Gen Intel CPU and 12 hours of battery life
- Acer is launching a trio of Chromebooks — which one best fits your needs?
- Acer teams up with National Geographic for an Aspire Vero laptop that'll help the Earth
Alienware laptops at CES 2022:
- Alienware goes superthin with 14-inch gaming laptop
- Alienware x17 R2 gets slimmer, gains Intel's 12th Gen CPUs
- Alienware m17 R5 is coming for the AMD gaming laptop crown
Asus laptops at CES 2022:
- Asus ROG Strix Scar combines an Intel 12th Gen CPU, RTX 3080 Ti and MUX Switch for max performance
- Asus ROG Zephyrus Duo 16, a dual-display gaming wonder, gets refreshed for CES 2022
- Meet the ROG Flow Z13: Asus' new detachable gaming laptop
- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 and G15 2022 are powerfully equipped with AMD Ryzen 9-6900HS and Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
- Asus reveals a slew of TUF gaming laptops: See the latest innovation in affordable gaming
- You can use the new Asus Zenbook OLED 14X with 12th Gen Intel CPU in space
Dell laptops at CES 2022:
Gigabyte laptops at CES 2022:
HP laptops at CES 2022:
- HP EliteBook adds a new 16-inch model and productivity-enhancing aspect ratio
- HP unveils a slew of ProBooks and a 2-in-1 laptop with a new AMD R7 Pro CPU
Lenovo laptops at CES 2022:
- ThinkPad Z Series sustainable design and next-gen AMD Ryzen Pro processor targets eco-friendly business users
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 series adopts Intel 12th Gen CPUs along with OLED display options
- New Lenovo Legion 5 Pro is world's first 16-inch laptop to offer 240Hz refresh rate with WQHD+ display
- Yoga 9i leads the pack of powerful 2-in-1 laptops from Lenovo at CES 2022
- Lenovo's wicked 17-inch ThinkBook Plus Gen 3 has a built-in 8-inch LCD display
MSI laptops at CES 2022:
- MSI Stealth GS77 unveiled: a 17-inch gaming laptop with 12th Gen Intel CPU, RTX 3080 Ti GPU and 120Hz 4K display
- MSI is launching metaverse-ready gaming laptops — check out the new Vector GP series
- MSI teams up with Ubisoft for gaming laptop — say hello to Rainbow Extraction Edition Crosshair 15
- MSI's new Raider GE76/66 is powered by 12th Gen Intel Core i9, RTX 3080 Ti — behold the power
Razer laptops at CES 2022:
Phones at CES 2022
With Mobile World Congress just a couple of months after CES and many of the big OEMs holding their own, we rarely see any big phone news emerge from Vegas.
However, things have been a bit more eventful than usual this year with the announcement of the Galaxy S21 FE and more details on the OnePlus 10 Pro, although only the Chinese launch is official for the latter so far.
A number of additional budget to mid-range phones were announced as well including the latest TCL 30 series phones and a number of incredibly affordable phones from Nokia.
Headphones at CES 2022
It should come as absolutely no surprise that there will be new headphones and true wireless earbuds at CES 2022. With LG, Samsung, Sony, Klipsch, JBL and more being at the show, alongside numerous more attending virtually, expect a host of manufacturers who are set to have a lot to say about audio.
I’m not going to say these are predictions — more of a personal wishlist. I hope we see improvements to battery life across true wireless earbuds (four hours is simply not enough), alongside more people moving to a dual-driver sound structure. The separation of having a Knowles balanced armature driver handling the highs makes a profound impact on the spaciousness of the sound production.
Plus, after seeing Apple drop Spatial Audio into its AirPods line-up and the likes of Sony 360 Reality Audio in past years, it would be fair to expect more companies making moves in this area.
TVs at CES 2022
The TV world has largely shown its hand for the future. As the march towards 8K resolutions and high refresh rates goes on, the move toward Mini LED technology is clearly going to be the talk of the show as well.
Sony, LG and Samsung will bring their big screen energy to the show with a usual slew of 100-inch monsters, but keep an eye out for these Mini LED panels too, as they will be the future of televisions. Not only that, but we may also see some Smart TV OS updates and some interesting conversations around the future of HDMI I/O.
While the latest and greatest TV tech tends to mean eye-watering prices, this could be the year we see 8K come down into more mainstream price points with companies like TCL and HiSense already coming in around a $2,000 price point.
We'll be keeping this page updated with all of the latest from CES as it happens so bookmark it now to follow along with us for the rest of CES 2022.
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.
Jason brings a decade of tech and gaming journalism experience to his role as a writer at Laptop Mag. He takes a particular interest in writing articles and creating videos about laptops, headphones and games. He has previously written for Kotaku, Stuff and BBC Science Focus. In his spare time, you'll find Jason looking for good dogs to pet or thinking about eating pizza if he isn't already.