A group of Surface Pro 4 customers have banded together to raise awareness of issues they are having with their machines' displays. The group, calling the incident "Flickergate," claims to be more than 1600 strong.
"We are aware that some customers have experienced a screen flicker on Surface Pro 4 and are monitoring the situation closely," a Microsoft spokesperson told Laptop Mag. "Customers impacted by this should contact Microsoft support."
Perhaps the strangest part, though, is that several owners are claiming that putting the device in the freezer serves as a temporary fix. The problem is a hardware issue, so it couldn't be fixed with a simple software update.
Last August, Consumer Reports yanked its recommendation of the Surface lineup because its "predicted reliability" was worse than other brands. Some members of the Flickergate group have reported getting replacement units, and the site states that "if the issue is a hardware fault, then Microsoft should recall affected devices."
Windows 10 Annoyances and Problems
- Repair Windows 10
- Remove the Lock Screen
- Disable or Enable Grayscale Mode
- Set Compatibility Mode for Apps
- Access the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC
- Stop Windows Update from Automatically Restarting Your PC
- Turn Off App Notifications
- Fix a Slow-Opening Windows Downloads Folder
- Disable Personalized Ads on Microsoft Sites and Apps
- Stop Skype’s Annoying Auto Updates
- Fix a 'Boot Configuration Data File is Missing' Error
- Clear the Run Command's History
- Disable Cortana
- Uninstall and Restore Built-in Apps
- Restore a Missing Battery Icon
- Fix a Boot Configuration File Error
- Get to the Advanced Startup Options Menu
- Delete a Locked File
- Restart without Rebooting
- Roll Back Windows 10 to an Earlier Version
- Disable Automatic Driver Downloads
- Disable Internet Explorer
- Pause Windows Updates for Up to 35 Days
- Use Battery Saver
- Downgrade to Windows 10 S
- Save Netflix Videos for Offline Viewing
- All Windows 10 Tips
- Worst Windows 10 Annoyances
- Disable Password Prompt on Wake
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.