This week, Intel issued new guidance on which CPUs can expect patches for Spectre variant 2. While the company had previously dedicated itself to patching every chip, if you have an older CPU, it may not be fixed.
The following lines of chips will not receive patches:
- Jasper Forest
- SoFIA 3GR,
For the average laptop-owner, this means someone with a Core 2 Duo CPU. That's what my white plastic MacBook had in 2008.
Intel writes that these chips have "micro-architectural characteristics that preclude a practical implementation of features mitigating Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715)." Additionally, Intel isn't going to patch these systems because they are no longer available to purchase and few of them are likely active. The company also notes that many are " implemented as 'closed systems' and therefore are expected to have a lower likelihood of exposure to these vulnerabilities."
You can find a full list of every CPU and what its microcode update status is here. Intel has had issues patching Spectre, and even pulled its first patch after it caused problems with machines.
While we continue to wait for Intel's patches to existing chips, be sure to update your operating system and install any updates from the company that made your laptop.
Image: Alexander Tolstykh / Shutterstock.com
Windows 10 Annoyances and Problems
- Repair Windows 10
- Remove the Lock Screen
- Disable or Enable Grayscale Mode
- Set Compatibility Mode for Apps
- Access the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC
- Stop Windows Update from Automatically Restarting Your PC
- Turn Off App Notifications
- Fix a Slow-Opening Windows Downloads Folder
- Disable Personalized Ads on Microsoft Sites and Apps
- Stop Skype’s Annoying Auto Updates
- Fix a 'Boot Configuration Data File is Missing' Error
- Clear the Run Command's History
- Disable Cortana
- Uninstall and Restore Built-in Apps
- Restore a Missing Battery Icon
- Fix a Boot Configuration File Error
- Get to the Advanced Startup Options Menu
- Delete a Locked File
- Restart without Rebooting
- Roll Back Windows 10 to an Earlier Version
- Disable Automatic Driver Downloads
- Disable Internet Explorer
- Pause Windows Updates for Up to 35 Days
- Use Battery Saver
- Downgrade to Windows 10 S
- Save Netflix Videos for Offline Viewing
- All Windows 10 Tips
- Worst Windows 10 Annoyances
- Disable Password Prompt on Wake
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.