How to Use Skype on a Chromebook
Chrome OS makes it easy to make calls or hold chats with Google Hangouts, but what if you want to communicate with someone on Skype? While you can’t make video or voice calls using Skype on a Chromebook, you can hold chats or manage contacts in your browser. Here’s how.
1. Open Chrome and navigate to web.skype.com. You will be redirected to a sign in page.
2. Insert your username and password to log in.
3. Click "Get Started." You'll notice that Skype says you can make audio and video calls but those features require you to install a plugin that runs in Windows, not Chrome OS.
4. Choose a friend to chat with.
Skype for web has some limitations. You will only be able to use text chat. Video and audio calling aren’t available in Skype for web.
5. When you’re done, sign out by clicking your profile picture.
6. Click “sign out” to confirm.