Want to upgrade to the latest Surface device as it comes out? Microsoft's new Surface Plus plan acts sort of like a plan you might expect from a phone carrier, letting you pay off your machine over 24 months and trading in every 18 months.
The payment plans offers 0 percent APR for the first two years and 19.99 percent if you exceed that time period. The trade-ins are conditional on returning the device in good condition. The program includes the Surface Pro, Surface Laptop and Surface Book. The Surface Studio desktop is not listed among the payment plans (opens in new tab).
As long as you keep your payments in on time and want to upgrade, you'll be paying off approximately 75 percent of the device before turning it in for the next one. That's a good deal if you always planned on getting the next big thing, but you'll pay more than you would if you paid upfront, held onto a machine for a few years and updated later.
Surface Plus also offers a free year of support in Microsoft's stores.
So far, the Surface Pro line of devices has seen regular updates, though the Surface Book's was more minimal, bumping up to a model with its Performance Base. It's way too early for the new Surface Laptop to receive a major refresh anytime soon. Hopefully, the Surface Plus plan will inspire a more regular upgrade cadence among Microsoft's devices.
We've seen plans like this before for phones, like Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program, but never before for computers. We're curious to see how it shakes out.
Image composite credit: Microsoft, Laptop Mag
- Laptop Buying Guide: 8 Essential Tips
- The Best & Worst Laptop Brands
- Laptop Tech Support Showdown: Undercover Report
- Should I Buy a Chromebook? Buying Guide and Advice
- Laptops with the Longest Battery Life
- Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops: What Should You Buy?
- Why You Shouldn't Buy a Touch-Screen Laptop
- Out of the Box Tips: Set Up Your New Laptop Like a Pro
- The Best Time to Buy a Laptop
- Chromebook vs. Tablet: Which Should You Buy?
- Laptop Buying Tips for Students
- 10 Key Features to Look for in Your Laptop
- How to Buy a 2-in-1 Laptop Hybrid
- USB Type-C FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Get Rid of Your Old Laptop
- Laptop Warranties: What They Cover
- Which CPU is Right For You?
- Which Laptop Features Are Worth the Money?
- Gaming Laptop Buying Guide: Find the Right Rig
- 10 Reasons Why Consumers Should Buy Business Laptops
- Which MacBook is Right for You?
- 5 Things to Look For in Your Next Laptop Keyboard
- How to Configure Your Laptop: Specs That Matter
- Which Graphics Card Do You Need?
- The Perfect Laptop? Here’s What It Should Have
- Why 78 Percent of Laptop Screens Suck
- A Guide to Computer Ports and Adapters
- 13 Ways to Make a Slow Laptop Faster
- How to Tell If You Can Upgrade Your Laptop
- Laptop Locks Guide: Do You Need One?
- 10 Features You Can Skip to Save Money