Microsoft will likely make Surface-related announcements in October. A report in The Verge today says that the company will hold its annual Future Decoded event in London from October 31 through November 1, and Surface chief Panos Panay will be speaking.
Sources told The Verge that at least one new device will be announced. Possibilities include an update to the Surface Book, which is a bit long in the tooth and showed up in black in 8th Gen Intel marketing materials, or an LTE-powered Surface Pro, as Microsoft is partnering with Qualcomm to make ARM-powered, always-connected laptops later this year. Asus, HP and Lenovo are the only partners who have joined on publicly, but it would be a big statement to see a device from Microsoft itself. We also haven't heard anything about a refresh to the Surface Studio desktop in awhile, but that seems like a long shot.
Typically, Microsoft has held its Surface launches at events in New York City, though it launched the latest iteration of the Surface Pro in Shanghai earlier this year.
We've reached out to Microsoft for more information on the event, but haven't heard back. We'll update if we have any more information. For now, mark the end of October on your calendars as a potential Surface launch date.
Photo: Keith Agnello/Laptop Mag
- Laptop Buying Guide: 8 Essential Tips
- The Best & Worst Laptop Brands
- Laptop Tech Support Showdown: Undercover Report
- Should I Buy a Chromebook? Buying Guide and Advice
- Laptops with the Longest Battery Life
- Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops: What Should You Buy?
- Why You Shouldn't Buy a Touch-Screen Laptop
- Out of the Box Tips: Set Up Your New Laptop Like a Pro
- The Best Time to Buy a Laptop
- Chromebook vs. Tablet: Which Should You Buy?
- Laptop Buying Tips for Students
- 10 Key Features to Look for in Your Laptop
- How to Buy a 2-in-1 Laptop Hybrid
- USB Type-C FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Get Rid of Your Old Laptop
- Laptop Warranties: What They Cover
- Which CPU is Right For You?
- Which Laptop Features Are Worth the Money?
- Gaming Laptop Buying Guide: Find the Right Rig
- 10 Reasons Why Consumers Should Buy Business Laptops
- Which MacBook is Right for You?
- 5 Things to Look For in Your Next Laptop Keyboard
- How to Configure Your Laptop: Specs That Matter
- Which Graphics Card Do You Need?
- The Perfect Laptop? Here’s What It Should Have
- Why 78 Percent of Laptop Screens Suck
- A Guide to Computer Ports and Adapters
- 13 Ways to Make a Slow Laptop Faster
- How to Tell If You Can Upgrade Your Laptop
- Laptop Locks Guide: Do You Need One?
- 10 Features You Can Skip to Save Money
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.