We first saw signs of this change last year, when Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and KGI's Ming-Chi Kuo, both reliable prognosticators, claimed 2018's iPad Pro slates would add Face ID, and possibly drop the home button and offer an even slimmer size.
The latest evidence comes from code found in the recently-released beta version of iOS 11.3. Specifically, Filipe Espósito, editor of Brazil's iHelpBR, found references to a "modern iPad" in the code. This suggests an upcoming iPad with similarities to the Face ID-bearing iPhone X, as Apple code-sleuth Guilherme Rambo replied that "Modern iPhone" was the term Apple's developers used for the iPhone X.
This is just the latest iOS 11.3 news we've heard, as Apple announced that this upcoming update will introduce a way for users to check the health of their device's battery, and opt to disable the related performance-based throttling.
iPad Pro Tips and Tricks
- Multitask on the iPad Pro
- Every iPad Pro Keyboard Shortcut You'll Ever Need
- Use the iOS Keyboard as a Touchpad
- Display Two Safari Tabs Simultaneously on the iPad Pro
- How to Use the Apple Pencil with iPad Pro's Notes App
- Edit Multiple Streams of 4K Video on the iPad Pro
- Use Your iPad Pro as a Secondary Display
- Check the Apple Pencil’s Battery Life
- Use Your iPhone as a Hotspot for the iPad Pro
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.