How to Create a Sortable Column in an Excel Workbook
Sorting columns and rows is as much a part of Excel as the data used within it. The ability to view data from different perspectives -- whether greatest to least, or alphabetically -- is where Excel shines brightest. It’s not just a tool for collecting data, but viewing it as well. And the latter, arguably, is even more important.
- Open an Excel workbook or create a new one.
- Highlight the column you wish to sort.
- Click the Filter icon under the Sort & Filter heading. Notice the drop down arrow placed to the right of the column heading.
- Click the arrow to sort the data how you’d like -- smallest to largest, or vice versa -- and press OK.
- Click Sort in the pop-up warning.