How to Create a New Folder in Windows 10
Do your files and documents need better organization? Group related files into distinct folders on your laptop or desktop and you'll always easily find what you need. You can also change the icon size to make it more visually pleasing. Here are a few ways to quickly create a new folder in Windows 10, and after you master this, learn how to password protect a folder in Windows 10.
Method 1: Create a New Folder with a Keyboard Shortcut
The fastest way to create a new folder in Windows is with the CTRL+Shift+N shortcut.
1. Navigate to the location where you want to create the folder. You can create a new folder at any location on your hard drive or within another folder (creating a subfolder) in File Explorer. You can also create a new folder on your desktop with this method.
2. Hold down the Ctrl, Shift, and N keys at the same time. Windows will immediately create the new folder with the not-very-imaginative suggested folder name of "New folder."
3. Enter your desired folder name. It takes just seconds to create a new folder this way, but be sure to immediately begin typing your folder name when the folder first appears, because if you click on the folder or click away from File Explorer, the folder name will be "New folder" and you'll have to rename it.
Method 2: Create a New Folder by Right-Clicking
If you don't remember the keyboard shortcut or you prefer using the mouse:
1. Navigate to the location where you want to create the folder.
2. Right-click on a blank space in the folder location. Take care with this: If you right-click on an existing item in the folder, you'll get the wrong menu.
3. Select New then Folder from the contextual menu. Windows will create the new folder at your current location.
4. Enter your desired folder name to replace "New folder" and hit Enter.
You can create folders on the Desktop using this method too. Right-click on a blank space on the Desktop, then go to New > Folder.
Method 3: Create a New Folder from the Ribbon Menu
Another simple way to create a new folder is to use the New folder button in the File Explorer menu.
Just navigate to the place you want the folder and click or tap "New folder" in the Home tab
In addition to the methods above, you can create a new folder in Windows 10 by using the Command Prompt (navigate to the location you want your folder in and type mkdir foldername, replacing "foldername" with your folder name). These three methods, however, are the simplest and quickest ways to create a new folder, so you can get right to organizing your files.