Do your files and documents need better organization? If you group related files into distinct folders on your laptop or desktop, it'll always be easy to find what you need. You can also change the icon size to make it more visually pleasing. Here are a few ways to quickly create a new folder in Windows 10, and after you master this, learn how to password protect a folder in Windows 10.
Method #1: Create a new folder with a keyboard shortcut
The fastest way to create a new folder in Windows is with the CTRL+Shift+N shortcut.
1. Navigate to the location where you want to create the folder. You can create a new folder at any location on your hard drive or within another folder (creating a subfolder) in File Explorer. You can also create a new folder on your desktop with this method.
2. Hold down the Ctrl, Shift, and N keys at the same time. Windows will immediately create the new folder with the not-very-imaginative suggested folder name of "New folder."
3. Enter your desired folder name. It takes just seconds to create a new folder this way, but be sure to immediately begin typing your folder name when the folder first appears, because if you click on the folder or click away from File Explorer, the folder name will be "New folder" and you'll have to rename it.
Method #2: Create a new folder by right-clicking
If you don't remember the keyboard shortcut (or you just prefer using the mouse):
1. Navigate to the location where you want to create the folder.
2. Right-click on a blank space in the folder location. Take care with this: If you right-click on an existing item in the folder, you'll get the wrong menu.
3. Select New then Folder from the contextual menu. Windows will create the new folder at your current location.
4. Enter your desired folder name to replace "New folder" and hit Enter.
You can create folders on the Desktop using this method too. Right-click on a blank space on the Desktop, then go to New > Folder.
Method #3: Create a new folder from the ribbon menu
Another simple way to create a new folder is to use the New folder button in the File Explorer menu.
Just navigate to the place you want the folder and click or tap "New folder" in the Home tab.
These three methods are the simplest and quickest ways to create a new folder, so you can get right to organizing your files.
Windows 10 basics
- 7 Settings to Change Right Away
- Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts to Save You Clicks
- 5 Ways to Take Screenshots
- Change Your Password in Windows 10
- Uninstall Programs in Windows 10
- Enable or Disable Tablet Mode
- Add a User (Child or Adult)
- Change the Screen Resolution
- Sync Your Settings Across Devices
- Sync iPhone with Windows 10
- Control Windows 10 with Your Voice
- Upgrade to Windows 10 From Windows 7 or 8
- Eliminate Blue Light With Night Light
- Create a New Folder
- Get to the Desktop in Windows 10
- Add a Printer
- All Windows 10 Tips
- Set Alarms
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.