Big Surface news ahead: Microsoft sent the press an invite to "see what's next" at an event in Shanghai on May 23. Our guess? The Surface Pro 5 is almost here.
The invitation and announcement are cryptic at best. We know the event is in Shanghai, but not where or even what time. It didn't specify hardware, software, AI or any other topics.
But one known attendee is Microsoft VP and the father of Surface, Panos Panay, who tweeted about the event with the Surface hashtag.
Of course, it's possible the Surface Pro 5 will be one of many announcements, but it's one of the most hyped-up refreshes coming out of Microsoft this year.
Rumors are swirling that the biggest change will be a modest one: an upgrade to Intel's seventh-generation CPUs. That's according to journalist Paul Thurott, who tweeted in April that the Surface Pro 5 is also expected to keep the proprietary Surface power connector.
The announcement will come on the heels of the unveiling of the Surface Laptop, a clamshell starting at $999 that runs Windows 10 S, its new, locked-down operating system aimed at the education market. The event also takes place the same month as the company's Build developer conference, which will be next week in Seattle.
Windows 10 Basics
- 7 Settings to Change Right Away
- Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts to Save You Clicks
- 5 Ways to Take Screenshots
- Change Your Password in Windows 10
- Uninstall Programs in Windows 10
- Enable or Disable Tablet Mode
- Add a User (Child or Adult)
- Change the Screen Resolution
- Sync Your Settings Across Devices
- Sync iPhone with Windows 10
- Control Windows 10 with Your Voice
- Upgrade to Windows 10 From Windows 7 or 8
- Eliminate Blue Light With Night Light
- Create a New Folder
- Get to the Desktop in Windows 10
- Add a Printer
- All Windows 10 Tips
- Set Alarms