SAN FRANCISCO — Intel gave us a quick peek at what to expect from the seventh-generation of its Core processors. And you can expect laptops capable of handling a lot of high-resolution video.
In a demo during the Intel Developer Forum keynote, CEO Brian Krzanich showed off future 2-in-1 devices capable of streaming 4k video. That's the result of a new graphics architecture in the chip that can decode 10-bit HEVC video. The CPUs will also be able to handle content creation, with the ability to edit 4K video on the fly.
The brief demo also showed off the graphics capabilities of the 7th generation Core chips, which are code-named Kaby Lake. To showcase how the CPUs can handle graphically intense games, Krzanich spent some time blasting his way through a game of Overwatch on a Dell XPS laptop with a Core i5 CPU. The laptop looked like an XPS 13, but Intel did not say the exact model or screen size on display.
Krzanich says the 7th-gen Core chips are now shipping to the company's PC partners, with new devices set to arrive in the fall.
We got a little bit of a preview of the Kaby Lake chips earlier this year, during Intel's Computex keynote. During that event, Intel's Navin Shenoy showed off a 2-in-1 reference design running on a Kaby Lake processor. Asus's Transformer 3 detachable 2-in-1 is also expected to feature one of the new CPUs.
- Laptop Buying Guide: 8 Essential Tips
- The Best & Worst Laptop Brands
- Laptop Tech Support Showdown: Undercover Report
- Should I Buy a Chromebook? Buying Guide and Advice
- Laptops with the Longest Battery Life
- Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops: What Should You Buy?
- Why You Shouldn't Buy a Touch-Screen Laptop
- Out of the Box Tips: Set Up Your New Laptop Like a Pro
- The Best Time to Buy a Laptop
- Chromebook vs. Tablet: Which Should You Buy?
- Laptop Buying Tips for Students
- 10 Key Features to Look for in Your Laptop
- How to Buy a 2-in-1 Laptop Hybrid
- USB Type-C FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Get Rid of Your Old Laptop
- Laptop Warranties: What They Cover
- Which CPU is Right For You?
- Which Laptop Features Are Worth the Money?
- Gaming Laptop Buying Guide: Find the Right Rig
- 10 Reasons Why Consumers Should Buy Business Laptops
- Which MacBook is Right for You?
- 5 Things to Look For in Your Next Laptop Keyboard
- How to Configure Your Laptop: Specs That Matter
- Which Graphics Card Do You Need?
- The Perfect Laptop? Here’s What It Should Have
- Why 78 Percent of Laptop Screens Suck
- A Guide to Computer Ports and Adapters
- 13 Ways to Make a Slow Laptop Faster
- How to Tell If You Can Upgrade Your Laptop
- Laptop Locks Guide: Do You Need One?
- 10 Features You Can Skip to Save Money