It may seem crazy to talk about Amazon Prime Day in February, but the truth is Prime Day will be here before you know it. And if last year is any indication, Amazon Prime Day 2020 is going to be huge.
Amazon Prime Day is one of the biggest retail holidays of the year. It's a made-up celebration that gives Prime members exclusive access to sitewide deals on everything from Fire Tablets to gaming laptops.
Although it's usually held in July, we're recapping the best Prime Day deals of the previous year along with the Prime Day deals we'd like to see later this summer.
What is Amazon Prime Day
Amazon Prime Day started on July 15, 2015 as a celebration of Amazon's 20th anniversary. For 24 hours, Amazon offered Prime members exclusive deals on a wide range of products.
The day was such a success that Amazon made Prime Day an annual tradition and has expanded the holiday to numerous countries including Spain, Japan, Austria, Mexico, and more. Amazon has also expanded the duration of Prime Day. In 2017, Amazon Prime Day lasted for 30 hours, whereas in 2018 Prime Day lasted for 36 hours. Last year, Prime Day ran from July 15 through end of July 16 making the 48-hour sale the longest in its history.
When is Amazon Prime Day 2020
We predict Amazon Prime Day 2020 will fall on Monday, July 13. For the past five years, Prime Day has typically been celebrated during the second or third week of July and we expect Prime Day 2020 will be the same.
That said, Amazon usually has a lead up to Prime Day with "unofficial" deals that start as early as June. Amazon rivals like Walmart, Best Buy, and Target hold similar summer sales to take some attention off Amazon Prime Day.
Where is Amazon Prime Day celebrated
Back in 2015, the first Amazon Prime Day was celebrated in the U.S., UK, Spain, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, Canada, and Austria. Last year, however, turned out to be the biggest Prime Day ever.
Prime Day was celebrated in 18 countries including the United States, China, United Kingdom, Mexico, Spain, Italy, United Arab Emirates, Singapore, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Japan, India, Germany, Austria, France, Canada, Belgium, and Australia.
Amazon Prime Day concert
Amazon isn't one to shy away from big events and Prime Day is no exception. For the past two years, Amazon has kicked off its Prime Day celebration with a Prime Day concert that all Prime members can stream live via Amazon's website.
In 2018, Amazon chose Ariana Grande, Alessia Cara, Kelsea Ballerina, and Julia Michaels to headline their Prime Day concert. Last year, the Amazon Prime Day concert featured Taylor Swift, Dua Lipa, Becky G, and SZA.
Both concerts were held in New York and 2019's concert was available for streaming throughout Prime Day. (For Prime members only, naturally). We expect Amazon to offer a similar Prime Day concert later this summer.
Should I wait for Amazon Prime Day deals
Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, and Memorial Day are just a few of the holidays ahead of Amazon Prime Day 2020. This begs the question — is it worth waiting for Prime Day deals to begin? In a word, no. That's because the year has just started and it makes no sense to wait for Prime Day this early in the year.
For instance, right now the Fire HD 10 Tablet is back on sale at its lowest price ever. In fact, every Amazon tablet is on sale right now, which makes it a great time to upgrade your tablet or purchase one for the first time.
However, as we inch closer to Prime Day, it makes more sense to wait. By late May or early June, you'll save more money if you wait for Amazon Prime Day deals to begin.
What were the best Amazon Prime Day deals?
Amazon Prime Day is about one thing: Amazon. So naturally the best Prime Day deals tend to be on Amazon hardware. Below you'll find the best Prime Day deals on Amazon hardware from the previous year.
- All-new Fire 7 Tablet (16GB): was $49.99 now just $29.99
- Fire HD 10 Tablet (32GB, Without Special Offers): was $164.99 now just $114.99
- Fire HD 10 Tablet (32GB, With Special Offers): was $149 now just $99
- Echo Dot (3rd Gen): was $49.99 now just $22
- Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote: was $39.99 now just $14.99
- Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote: was $49.99 now just $24.99
- All-New Echo Dot for Kids: was $69.99 now just $44.99
- All-New Amazon Fire 7 Kids Edition Tablet: was $99.99 now just $59.99
- Spend $10 at Whole Foods, get a $10 Amazon credit
- Kindle Oasis E-reader: was $279.99 now just $199.99
What were the best Amazon Prime Day laptop deals?
- Dell XPS 13 w/128GB SSD (9360): was $1,500 now just $999
- Dell XPS 13 w/256GB SSD (9380): was $1,199 now just $999
- Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K display (9570): was $2,499 now just $1,999
- Dell G5 Gaming Laptop: was $1,099 now just $779
- Lenovo Chromebook S330: was $289 now just $144
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen): was $2,579 now just $1,934
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen): was $1,559 now just $999
- Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop: was $1,299.99 now just $899.99
- Acer Swift 5: was $1,399, now just $1,238
- Alienware 17 R5 was $1,699 now just $1,359
- Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018): was $2,799 now just $2,099
- Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018): was $1,999 now just $1,449
- Asus VivoBook F510QA (15.6-inch): was $399, now just $259
- Asus Chromebook Flip C434: was $549 now just $489
- Asus ROG Strix Hero II 15-inch Gaming Laptop: was $1,799 now just $1,699
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 with Surface Pro Type Cover: was $1,059 now just $799
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6: was $1,199 now just $899
- Samsung Chromebook 3: was $144, now just $119
What were the best Prime Day Whole Foods deals?
We've seen this deal for the past two years and it's always one of our favorites. That's because the the $10 credit, which is only valid during Prime Day, can turn a good Amazon Prime Day deal into an awesome deal.
One year, the Fire TV Stick dropped to $19.99 after the credit. Other times, we've seen the Echo Dot hut an all-time low of $24.99 after the $10 credit.
Amazon also offers a variety of other Whole Foods deals during Prime Day including 25% to 50% off "summertime favorites" such as organic cherries, apple pie, and wild-caught sockeye salmon. Be sure to follow sister site Tom's Guide for the best Amazon Prime Day Whole Foods deals.
Can anyone shop Amazon Prime Day deals?
Prime Day deals are exclusively for Prime members. However, if you're not a Prime member, Amazon offers a free 30-day Prime membership trial as an incentive to join. You can cancel before your trial ends to avoid being charged $119 for a year of Prime.
College students can also sign up for a Prime Student membership to shop Prime Day deals. Prime Student costs $59 per year (50% less than a traditional membership) and offers many of the same perks. What's more, students get a 6-month free trial instead of just 30 days. Students can also check out deals at Amazon's new Off-to-College Store, which offers discounts on everything from laptops to dorm room accessories.
Laptop Mag is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more here.