Microsoft just finished its big reveal of Windows 11 and there were a lot of exciting new updates, but the company didn't mention one of our biggest questions: How much will the upgrade cost?
Fortunately, the answer came immediately following the event with manufacturers stating that Windows 11 will be a free update for Windows 10 users. We spoke to Windows General Manager Aaron Woodman after the show who said he had no plans to place on deadline on when Windows 10 users can upgrade, stating his main focus is getting Windows 11 to the most customers with the greatest satisfaction.
- Windows 11: latest OS features, major updates and more
- Best laptops 2021
- The best Microsoft Surface deals in June 2021
This was what we anticipated and follows the same model that Microsoft used with the upgrade to Windows 10. This doesn't, of course, mean that Windows 11 itself is free, but rather that the update to Windows 11 for existing Windows 10 users.
If you want to read more about Windows 11, check out all of our coverage below:
- Windows 11 Taskbar and Start Menu get a modern remake — Here's how they work
- Windows 11 Search Bar: What changed and what didn't
- Windows 11 gets revamped UI — see how the design changed from Windows 10
- Windows 11 promises longer battery life for laptops, 40% smaller updates
- Windows 11: Your guide to Microsoft's next Windows OS
- Microsoft Teams to be integrated into Windows 11 — What that means
- Windows 11 makes multitasking a breeze — how it works
- Windows 11 revamped the touch keyboard — and it operates just like your phone
- Windows 11 new widget design is cleaner and comes with drag and drop simplicity
- Windows 11 will be a free upgrade from Windows 10
- Windows 11 includes a new Microsoft Store — this could be big
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.
Sean Riley has been covering tech professionally for over a decade now. Most of that time was as a freelancer covering varied topics including phones, wearables, tablets, smart home devices, laptops, AR, VR, mobile payments, fintech, and more. Sean is the resident mobile expert at Laptop Mag, specializing in phones and wearables, you'll find plenty of news, reviews, how-to, and opinion pieces on these subjects from him here. But Laptop Mag has also proven a perfect fit for that broad range of interests with reviews and news on the latest laptops, VR games, and computer accessories along with coverage on everything from NFTs to cybersecurity and more.