How to Install the macOS 10.15 Catalina Developer Beta
You live the risky life, so I'm not surprised to learn you want to try the macOS 10.15 Catalina beta. Currently in the developer beta stage (with the public beta coming in July), all you need to try macOS Catalina now — aside from a willingness to suffer a bumpy, buggy experience — is an Apple Developer account to get started.
So, after you plunk down $100 to enlist in the Apple Developer Program, it's time to get a heads start on the roadtrip to macOS Catalina. The big features you'll want to test in this new version are Sidecar (which turns your iPad into a touch-friendly extension of your Mac), Music on macOS (which replaces iTunes) and the new Photos app.
You may need macOS 10.15 in order to get Apple's other betas. On June 3, the fine print for iOS and iPadOS only said "Install via iTunes," but as of June 4, that text now reads "Installation requires macOS 10.15 beta or Xcode 11 beta. Install via iTunes." That may leave you scratching your head, because Apple killed iTunes off in iOS 10.15. Fortunately, the tools you need for installing iOS and iPadOS developer betas are found in Finder in macOS 10.15. Just click on the device in the left menu in Finder, after plugging in your iPhone or iPad.
During the installation, get ready for warnings about the 32-bit apps installed on your laptop that won't work in macOS 10.15. After you install Catalina, you'll see messages about Screen Time and other new features.
How to install the macOS 10.15 Catalina Developer Beta
1. Go to developer.apple.com and click Account in the top bar.
2. Sign in with your Apple developer account.
3. Click Downloads.
4. Click Install Profile.
5. Click the downloads button and open the installer DMG file.
6. Open the .PKG file.
7. Click Continue.
8. Click Continue.
9. Click Agree.
10. Click Install.
11. Enter your system password or use Touch ID to verify your account.
12. Click Close.
13. Click the Apple logo in the top left corner.
14. Select System Preferences.
15. Click Software Update.
16. You should see the macOS 10.15 Catalina dev beta as an option. Click Upgrade Now.
17. Click Continue.
18. Click Agree.
19. Click Agree.
20. Click Install.
21. Click Continue.
22. Log in as administrator.
23. Watch macOS 10.15 Catalina install.
24. Click Restart.
25. Your Mac is now on the beta of Catalina!