If you landed here after frustratedly searching for “PS5 randomly shutting off,” then the good news is that I was in your position not long ago and after not finding many satisfying answers I put together this guide.
The PS5 just celebrated its third birthday and while you might have picked it up more recently, I first encountered this issue when my PS5 was a year old. Your PS5 randomly shutting off mid-game falls on the catastrophic end of the spectrum for console issues, but don’t worry; I have a few possible solutions that should have your precious PS5 running smoothly again in no time.
We will run through a few different scenarios with the relevant solutions, including what to do if none of these options work for you.
How to clean your PS5
If your PS5 is shutting down mid-game, particularly when playing more intensive AAA games, it’s likely overheating caused by dust build-up. This was the exact issue that I encountered during my review of Dying Light 2. Depending on where you have your PS5 and the general dust situation in your gaming space, this will be pretty common. Fortunately, you don’t need to take the console apart completely to clean it out thoroughly, but you will need a couple of tools to get the job done.
The most important tool will be some method to blow the dust out of the console; this could be a compressed air can or I used a dust blower that I have for cleaning my camera’s sensor. The other tool you will need is a T8 Torx screwdriver to remove the PS5 fan assembly, because to really clean things out, you need to remove the fan. I ended up having to clean my PS5 out twice as I didn’t remove the fan the first time, so I’d recommend just biting the bullet and doing this from the start.
- Remove the PS5 stand if you are using it.
- Remove the PS5 faceplates.
- With the PS5 upright, place your hand on the PS5 logo in the upper corner and pull it lightly away from the console while also pushing down on the faceplate. Just be patient, it can take a couple of tries to get it, but it will pop off easily when you have it right.
- Repeat this process on the same corner on the opposite side.
- Remove the plastic intake fin that wraps around the top corner of the PS5 and covers the top of the fan assembly.
- Unscrew the four T8 Torx screws holding the fan cover in place on the same side as the M.2 SSD slot. (Note where each one goes as not all screws are the same length.)
- Remove the cover where the fan cables lead and disconnect the fan.
- Lift the fan assembly out of the PS5.
- Blow into the open interior of the PS5 where the fan assembly was located until you don’t see additional dust coming out.
- Clean fan blades with canned air or a brush or dry cloth if necessary.
- Replace the fan assembly, plug it back in and replace its cover.
- Screw the fan back in place.
- Replace the intake fin.
- Replace the PS5 faceplates.
- This is much easier in reverse; simply align the pegs inside the faceplate with the holes on the console and slide it up. It will click into place firmly.
- Replace the PS5 stand.
Your PS5 should be back up and running as good as new.
PS5 is still overheating?
If you go through the cleaning process and either immediately or very shortly thereafter find you are still having the same problem then your fans may not be cooling your console down enough anymore. So if you still find your PS5 overheating fix it with an aftermarket accessory fan. I used the SCRY Artic PS5 cooler, but there are other alternatives and while it does add a bit more fan noise, it had my PS5 back up and running at full speed.
This might seem too easy, but sometimes it's just a matter of a firmware update. This was more commonly an issue immediately after launch, but it’s still a potential solution and just takes a minute.
- Open the PS5 Settings menu
- Select System
- Open System Software
- Select System Software Update
- Now click Update System Software
Turn off Rest Mode
Rest Mode is another potential culprit for random shutdowns on the PS5. While it’s helpful to shift into Rest Mode to keep charging controllers and downloading games without the console fully powered up, it’s not worth random shutdowns. It’s easy to toggle on and off, so if you’ve exhausted your other options, it’s worth a shot.
- Open the PS5 Settings menu
- Navigate to Power Saving
- Select Rest Mode
- Click Don’t Put in Rest Mode
Turn off HDMI Device Link
This is another very convenient feature that you may need to give up if your PS5 is randomly shutting off. HDMI Device Link allows your TV to turn on immediately when you power on your PS5. Unfortunately, sometimes this doesn’t work as intended and can cause the PS5 to power down or shift into Rest Mode.
- Open the PS5 Settings menu
- Navigate to System
- Select HDMI
- Toggle off HDMI Link
Short on power?
Another possibility is that your PS5 isn’t getting sufficient power. There are a couple of potential options here.
First, the power cord is damaged or simply not plugged in firmly. The latter is easy enough to check; just make sure both ends are seated properly in the outlet and the power port on the back of the PS5. If the cord doesn’t show any signs of physical damage, that is unlikely to be the issue, but a replacement is the only option if it is damaged.
Reach out to PlayStation
If none of the above worked, then you need to turn directly to PlayStation support. They may try to take you through some additional troubleshooting steps, but they will help you with the repair or replacement options if necessary.
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.
Sean Riley has been covering tech professionally for over a decade now. Most of that time was as a freelancer covering varied topics including phones, wearables, tablets, smart home devices, laptops, AR, VR, mobile payments, fintech, and more. Sean is the resident mobile expert at Laptop Mag, specializing in phones and wearables, you'll find plenty of news, reviews, how-to, and opinion pieces on these subjects from him here. But Laptop Mag has also proven a perfect fit for that broad range of interests with reviews and news on the latest laptops, VR games, and computer accessories along with coverage on everything from NFTs to cybersecurity and more.