In our latest Gateway NV5 series review, we had to show it a little tough love. Sure, it offered great performance for the price, but it's bulky design felt dated. Now Gateway is getting with the times by offering sleeker chassis and including a social networking button for accessing FaceBook, YouTube, and Flickr feeds. We're glad Gateway put these notebooks on a diet. The NV5, for instance, now sports a svelte profile of 1 to 1.3 inches, while the older model had a thicker waistline (1.5 inches). We also like the new color options, including red, silver, and blue, all of which have matte lids with groovy wave patterns.
Other highlights include your choice of AMD or Intel processors, a new High Definition Ultrabright LCD, and an HD webcam. Gateway again includes its MyBackup function for protecting your data. The 15.6-inch NV5 has a resolution of 1366 x 768, while the 17-inch model increases that count to 1600 x 900. The first configuration for sale is the $799 NV59C09u, which packs a Core i3 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 320GB hard drive, and a Blu-ray drive.
Check out the full specs and gallery below, and stay tuned for full reviews of both the new NV5 and NV7.
Model Number: Gateway NV59C09u; MSRP: $799.99
- Intel® Core™ i3-330M Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 cache) 2
- Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- 15.6" HD Widescreen Ultrabright™ TFT LCD Display
- Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
- 4096MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1066MHz Memory
- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
- 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- 4X Blu-ray Disc™/DVD-Super Multi double-layer drive
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
- High-Def Webcam (1280 x 1024)
- Two Stereo Speakers
- Multi-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader
- One HDMI port and three USB 2.0 Ports
- Multi-Gesture Touchpad
- Dedicated Numeric Keypad
- 6-cell Li-Ion (4400 mAh) Battery; up to 4.5-hours of battery life
- Notebook weight: 5.72 lbs
Stay in the know with Laptop Mag
Get our in-depth reviews, helpful tips, great deals, and the biggest news stories delivered to your inbox.