How to Add a Drop-Down List in Excel
Excel is all about data, and because of this you’re often left with data you might wish wasn’t there. If you’re leaving a cell open, as in free to add anything to, you’ll have to expect errors of this type to rear their ugly head, especially if the spreadsheet is a collaborative effort.
- Open an Excel workbook.
- Choose a cell to house your drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the Data tab at the top of the screen. It’s nestled between Formulas and Review atop the Ribbon.
- Click the Data Validation button.
- Under Settings, find the menu that says Allow, and choose List from the options.
- Highlight the cells you want to include in the selection options of your drop-down menu, and click OK. If this doesn’t work for you immediately, click the box marked Source first and then highlight.