How to Adjust Video Quality to Save Battery Life
When you’re plugged in to a reliable power source, battery life isn’t much of a consideration. But when you’re on-the-go, it’s crucial. Windows 10 allows you to adjust the laptop’s battery settings and video quality to conserve these critical bits of battery when you know it may be a while before you can plug in. Sure, video quality will suffer -- as will performance, with some battery settings -- but it’s well worth the extra battery life.
Here’s how to make the adjustment.
- Click the Windows icon to open the Windows 10 Start Menu.
- From the list of available options, choose Settings. Click it to proceed.
- In the Windows Settings menu, click the Apps icon to open the App menu.
- From the list of available app options, click the choice marked Video Playback.
- In the Video Playback menu, you’ll see a button beneath the text Automatically process video to enhance it. Click the button to turn this feature off.
- Under the Battery options section, choose Optimize for battery life from the dropdown list. You’ll find it under the When watching movies and videos on battery power setting.
- Check the box next to I prefer video to play at a lower resolution when on battery. For some, it will already be checked.
Credit: Laptop Mag