Western Digital is giving its most popular external hard drives a few new coats of paint. My Passport drives for both Windows and Mac and the My Book hard drive are getting new designs with help from Yves Béhar and design firm Fuseproject. Both My Passport drives start at $80 for 1TB and offer a variety of sizes up to 4TB at $160. The My Book starts at $130 for 3TB and goes up to 8TB for $300.
Photo Credit: Sam Rutherford / Laptop Mag
I was impressed with the new designs in an early hands-on. The My Passport for Windows drives come in black, white, red, blue, yellow and orange, all with matching USB 3.0 cables. I loved the brighter colors, which are atypical in tech these days, but was disappointed to learn that My Passport for Mac and My Book are only available in black. All of the drives have a new modern design divided into two segments: the top is smooth with WD's logo, while the bottom features a pattern with curved ridges.
"The way we use data is changing; it’s becoming much more of a personal commodity, something we value,” Béhar said in a press release. At the hands-on, WD representatives suggested that the new designs would make users feel more connected to the physical devices that hold their data.
All three drives offer 256-bit AES hardware encryption that can be unlocked with a password. The HDDs are available from wdstore.com and at brick and mortar stores.
- Laptop Buying Guide: 8 Essential Tips
- The Best & Worst Laptop Brands
- Laptop Tech Support Showdown: Undercover Report
- Should I Buy a Chromebook? Buying Guide and Advice
- Laptops with the Longest Battery Life
- Chromebooks vs. Windows 10 Laptops: What Should You Buy?
- Why You Shouldn't Buy a Touch-Screen Laptop
- Out of the Box Tips: Set Up Your New Laptop Like a Pro
- The Best Time to Buy a Laptop
- Chromebook vs. Tablet: Which Should You Buy?
- Laptop Buying Tips for Students
- 10 Key Features to Look for in Your Laptop
- How to Buy a 2-in-1 Laptop Hybrid
- USB Type-C FAQ: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Get Rid of Your Old Laptop
- Laptop Warranties: What They Cover
- Which CPU is Right For You?
- Which Laptop Features Are Worth the Money?
- Gaming Laptop Buying Guide: Find the Right Rig
- 10 Reasons Why Consumers Should Buy Business Laptops
- Which MacBook is Right for You?
- 5 Things to Look For in Your Next Laptop Keyboard
- How to Configure Your Laptop: Specs That Matter
- Which Graphics Card Do You Need?
- The Perfect Laptop? Here’s What It Should Have
- Why 78 Percent of Laptop Screens Suck
- A Guide to Computer Ports and Adapters
- 13 Ways to Make a Slow Laptop Faster
- How to Tell If You Can Upgrade Your Laptop
- Laptop Locks Guide: Do You Need One?
- 10 Features You Can Skip to Save Money