Perhaps it happened when you plugged in or detached an external monitor. Maybe you just hit the wrong key somehow, but now your laptop's screen is stuck in portrait mode while you're attempting to use a landscape (horizontal) view. You can't even read the text without tilting your head or turning your display on its side. Fortunately, there are a couple of ways to rotate the screen in Windows 10; these methods work in Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Rotate Screen with a Keyboard Shortcut
Hit CTRL + ALT + Up Arrow and your Windows desktop should return to landscape mode. You can rotate the screen to portrait or upside-down landscape by hitting CTRL + ALT + Left Arrow, Right Arrow or Down arrow.
Rotate Screen with Display Settings Menu
If, for some reason, the shortcut keys don't work (and they should), try this method.
1. Right click on the desktop and select Display settings.
2. Choose a screen to fix if you have multiple monitors attached. (Skip this step if you have only one.)
3. Select Landscape from the Display orientation menu.
4. Click Apply (or OK)
5. Click Keep Changes when prompted.
Windows 10 Annoyances and Problems
- Repair Windows 10
- Remove the Lock Screen
- Disable or Enable Grayscale Mode
- Set Compatibility Mode for Apps
- Access the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC
- Stop Windows Update from Automatically Restarting Your PC
- Turn Off App Notifications
- Fix a Slow-Opening Windows Downloads Folder
- Disable Personalized Ads on Microsoft Sites and Apps
- Stop Skype’s Annoying Auto Updates
- Fix a 'Boot Configuration Data File is Missing' Error
- Clear the Run Command's History
- Disable Cortana
- Uninstall and Restore Built-in Apps
- Restore a Missing Battery Icon
- Fix a Boot Configuration File Error
- Get to the Advanced Startup Options Menu
- Delete a Locked File
- Restart without Rebooting
- Roll Back Windows 10 to an Earlier Version
- Disable Automatic Driver Downloads
- Disable Internet Explorer
- Pause Windows Updates for Up to 35 Days
- Use Battery Saver
- Downgrade to Windows 10 S
- Save Netflix Videos for Offline Viewing
- All Windows 10 Tips
- Worst Windows 10 Annoyances
- Disable Password Prompt on Wake