If you planned on using your Chromebook's newfound access to the Google Play Store for a free copy of Microsoft Office for Android, hold your horses. Microsoft will require an Office 365 subscription on any Chromebook with a screen larger than 10.1 inches.
That's the majority of Chromebooks (congratulations to you, Asus Chromebook Flip owners and your 10.1-inch screens). It's not terribly surprising, though, as this rule is fairly consistent with Microsoft's decisions for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which requires a subscription (the 9.7-inch version doesn't).
It's a bit of a drag for Chromebook owners who thought they'd have a great workaround for Microsoft's software, but fair is fair. Customers can choose between paying $7 per month or $70 per year for a single Office 365 license, which also covers one install on a Windows or Mac PC.
"After signing in with a free Microsoft account, the core viewing, creating, editing and printing experience is free in Office apps for iOS, Android and Windows 10 Mobile, on devices 10.1” or smaller..." Microsoft told 9to5 Google. "On devices larger than 10.1”, an Office 365 subscription is required to unlock the ability to create, edit or print documents."
- How to Get Android Apps, Google Play Store on a Chromebook
- Save Images On a Chromebook
- How to Redeem Your 100GB of Free Space
- Use Skype on a Chromebook
- Change Wallpaper on a Chromebook
- Set Up Google Print on Your Chromebook
- Keep Google From Spying on Your Kid's Chromebook
- Install Linux on a Chromebook
- Turn on Caps Lock
- Take a Screenshot
- Reset Your Chromebook
- Use Dropbox on Your Chromebook and Add it to File Manager
- Edit Word Docs on a Chromebook
- Set Up Offline Gmail
- How to Force Quit on a Chromebook
- Set Up Chrome Remote Desktop on Your Chromebook
- Turn Your Chromebook Desktop into an Art Gallery
- Keep Your Chromebook From Sleeping
- How to Snap Windows in Chrome OS
- Change the Screen Resolution of a Chromebook
- How to Launch a Google Hangout on Your Chromebook
- How to Stream Google Play Music on Your Chromebook
- How to Right-Click on a Chromebook
- How to Unlock Chromebooks Using a PIN Number
- How to Add Custom Shortcuts to Your Chromebook App Launcher